John Stephan (1906-1995) is largely remembered as art editor and co-publisher of The Tiger’s Eye with his wife, Ruth Stephan. Published in nine quarterly editions between 1947 and 1949, The Tiger’s Eye was a journal of post-war art and literature reflecting the creative ferment in those years.
John Stephan was also a painter whose 1940s work was shown in New York at Mortimer Brandt Gallery (1945) and Betty Parsons Gallery (1947, 1950). Stephan’s paintings from the 1970s will be exhibited for the first time at the Washburn Gallery and these works were referred to as “Discs” by the artist.
A brochure will be published with color reproductions and an essay by Pamela Franks, Curator, who organized the major exhibition and catalogue, “The Tiger’s Eye: The Art of a Magazine” for Yale University Art Gallery in 2002.